[opensource-dev] Building the viewer after the latest commits

Henri Beauchamp sldev at free.fr
Tue Aug 19 04:27:25 PDT 2014

On Tue, 19 Aug 2014 09:37:36 +0200, Lance Corrimal wrote:

> > Am Montag, 18. August 2014, 14:01:45 schrieb Nicky Perian:
>
> >> I ran into an issue with boost built with gcc 4-6 and viewer compiling goo
> >> 4-7. rebuilt boost on 4.7 and no more problems.
>
> Hi,
>
> that worked. Now that needs to go into the official sources...

Hopefully not !...

The current Linux builds of the viewer and pre-built libraries are
compiled with gcc 4.6, which also imposes a minimal requirement on
the target systems' libstdc++ version (6.0.16).

If LL were to provide pre-built libraries compiled with gcc v4.7,
then the "old" (like 2 years old *only*) Linux distributions would
become incapable of running the resulting viewer.

You should instead keep a partition (or a VirtualBox virtual machine)
with a build-system matching LL's one (i.e. using gcc 4.6.4 and its
associated libstdc++).

Henri.