[opensource-dev] Building the viewer after the latest commits

Oz Linden (Scott Lawrence) oz at lindenlab.com
Tue Aug 19 08:47:54 PDT 2014

On 2014-08-19, 07:27 , Henri Beauchamp wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> that worked. Now that needs to go into the official sources...
> Hopefully not !...
>
> The current Linux builds of the viewer and pre-built libraries are
> compiled with gcc 4.6, which also imposes a minimal requirement on
> the target systems' libstdc++ version (6.0.16).
>
> If LL were to provide pre-built libraries compiled with gcc v4.7,
> then the "old" (like 2 years old *only*) Linux distributions would
> become incapable of running the resulting viewer.
>
> You should instead keep a partition (or a VirtualBox virtual machine)
> with a build-system matching LL's one (i.e. using gcc 4.6.4 and its
> associated libstdc++).
>
> Henri.

I don't want to miss an opportunity to agree with Henri...

At present, our standard Linux build environment for Linux is Debian
Squeeze, gcc 4.6.  That's what we'll build the packages for. We expect
to start a toolchain update for Windows (to VS 2013) and Mac OSX (to
Xcode 5, clang) shortly, but don't plan to change Linux (it was updated
much more recently than the other platforms as part of the Sunshine
project).

You are of course welcome to use what you want for your builds, but we
won't be making changes to the packages we provide in order to support that.

--
*Scott Lawrence* | /Technical Director, Second Life/
Skype ozlinden <skype://ozlinden> | Second Life Oz Linden