[opensource-dev] quicktime plugin failing, and lots of build errors (windows)

Anna Gulaev annagulaev at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 18:33:15 PDT 2014

Forgive me, I'm not a Windows developer, but I built the viewer for Windows
and I'm having trouble. I got it running, but I have the following problems
(Release build):

1) The quicktime plugin keeps failing. I see there is a media plugin
tester, and it builds, but I can't find the executable. I'm able to hear
environment sounds, teleport sounds and streaming media. I don't know if
I'm missing anything, but I keep getting the quicktime plugin failure popup.

2) On launch I'm told the Fmod dll isn't found. I verified it was copied to
the directories I was instructed to put it in, but it looks for the FmodexL
dll (*debug* version, right?) in the *Release* directory. I duplicated both
dlls in both the release and the debug folders and it still didn't find it.
I duplicated them in the folder with the executable and, of course, that
worked.

3) I get a lot of build errors. Autobuild fails with the errors I reported
yesterday. Doing some googling I see that that's expected behavior, but I
didn't get a viewer executable. So I built it in Visual Studio.

VS loads the project incredibly slowly. It scanned three quarters of a
million files before I gave up and quit the IDE, but next time I loaded the
project it didn't scan anything and I was able to build. That build had two
successes and one failure. No viewer executable was created. But I built
the viewer by itself and I got an executable. It runs, but has the
quicktime problem I mentioned above.

There is so much output and so many errors I don't know where to begin to
see if there's anything I need to correct.

My system:

i5 3.4 GHz, 16G RAM, 256G SSD, NVIDIA GTX 650, WIndows 8.1, VC++ 2010
Express, latest viewer code

These are the instructions I followed:
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Viewer_2_Microsoft_Windows_Builds

Any suggestions?