[opensource-dev] Mac OS X Metal support

Geenz Spad geenz at exodusviewer.com
Sun Dec 13 19:23:01 PST 2015

Additionally, effective OpenGL != effective Metal.  In order to really take advantage of Metal, you would be looking at a massive rewrite of the viewer's rendering code to fit within the "Metal mindset" making a number of Metal specific optimizations along the way, and optimizations may not entirely fit within how the viewer currently does things today (for example, Metal tends to work best when you're submitting commands from multiple threads into a command buffer instead of everything happening on a single thread).  You could have better performance yes, but it would take a lot of work to port the viewer over to Metal in a way that would yield substantially better performance.

It's a lot like Direct3D 9 vs. Direct3D 10 and the supposed gains you could get with Direct3D 10 - they were only really there if you tailored your renderer to DX10, otherwise direct ports between APIs would frequently result in slower performance at worse, the same performance at best.