[opensource-dev] Building GTK+ and friends with autobuild new tools

Mike Chase mike.chase at alternatemetaverse.com
Fri Jul 24 07:13:59 PDT 2015

On 07/24/2015 04:16 AM, Henri Beauchamp wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jul 2015 21:47:36 -0500, Nicky Perian wrote:
>
>> Thanks for taking time to provide a thoughtful reply.
>> I agree, it is not a viewer for older distributions.
> I don't consider 3 years old distributions as "old" ones... If you do,
> then What would you say about Windows XP, Vista, or even Windows 7 ?
> :-D
Windows XP is EOL and anyone using it is asking for serious issues with
security problems which won't ever be fixed.   If you're running an
older platform you should be grateful the vendor is willing to backport
and handle security fixes.  But when they call it EOL you only have
yourself to blame if you continue running it and have issues.

In the Linux space for most distros there is no "vendor" to even
backport fixes since it community maintained in many cases.  For Ubuntu
if you are running an LTS release then yes its supported for a longer
period. Which means you'll have the benefit of security fixes. 12.04 is
April 2017. Should you upgrade to 14.04 LTS? Probably yes if only to get
updates on apps that aren't simply security fixes.

You can argue that a viewer should support older releases and to some
degree I could agree with that.  Truth is though that the hardware
requirements of the viewer also change and anyone running on a machine
more than a few years old isn't going to have the experience intended
with the current software tech.  So I personally prefer that releases
target .. the actual target.  Which IMO is 3-4years max.  Hence as I
said I think you can argue in the ubuntu case 12.04 but nothing earlier
and for Windows I see absolutely zero benefit supporting Windows XP
especially if its holding back support for newer releases.

Just my 2 cents

Mike