[opensource-dev] Replacement for QuickTime media plugin - a straw man proposal

Callum Prentice (Callum) callum at lindenlab.com
Mon May 16 14:39:49 PDT 2016

> ​​
> My knowledge about libVLC is rather outdated I would say, however it
> should be able to play quicktime/MOV files so I'm pretty sure it's a bug
> somewhere.

​
​Investigating now - the source of test material when I wrote the original
QuickTime plugin was the Apple movie trailers site but they all seem to be
in Apple's own m4v​ format which doesn't play in SL on my system with the
latest version of QuickTime for windows installed.
​

> No experience with gstreamer but if i remember when we were arguing for
> replacements a while back that there was a concern about licensing codecs
> wise. If legal cleared it then it should in theory be fine though. Building
> it for windows might be atrocious though.

​
​That was my experience a long time ago when we briefly discussed using
GStreamer everywhere. However, I see now there is a page ​-
https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/download/​ - with binary downloads for
all platforms.
​