[opensource-dev] Replacement for QuickTime media plugin - a straw man proposal

Cinder Roxley cinder at alchemyviewer.org
Mon May 16 14:45:09 PDT 2016

On May 16, 2016 at 3:39:53 PM, Callum Prentice (Callum) (callum at lindenlab.com <mailto:callum at lindenlab.com> ) wrote:

​​

 My knowledge about libVLC is rather outdated I would say, however it should be able to play quicktime/MOV files so I'm pretty sure it's a bug somewhere.

​
 ​Investigating now - the source of test material when I wrote the original QuickTime plugin was the Apple movie trailers site but they all seem to be in Apple's own m4v​ format which doesn't play in SL on my system with the latest version of QuickTime for windows installed.
M4v is like the video container version of mp4. Here are the official quicktime sample files:

https://support.apple.com/en-gw/HT201549

​
  No experience with gstreamer but if i remember when we were arguing for replacements a while back that there was a concern about licensing codecs wise. If legal cleared it then it should in theory be fine though. Building it for windows might be atrocious though.
 ​
 ​That was my experience a long time ago when we briefly discussed using GStreamer everywhere. However, I see now there is a page ​-
 https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/download/​ - with binary downloads for all platforms.
 ​
  Windows building support has come a long way as long as you’re using gstreamer 1.x (no more nasty mingw/msys) They claim that it builds with Microsoft compilers now.

--
Cinder Roxley
Sent with Airmail