[opensource-dev] Firewall block of media files

Ricky kf6kjg at gmail.com
Thu May 19 09:49:41 PDT 2016

The issue there, I suspect, is that the files are served with the wrong
MIME type, causing them to appear as generic files to be saved to disk, not
played.  The correct fix is to serve media files from a server that sets
the correct MIME type.  However, while correct, that might be a burden on
some.  The parcel media system has a way to specify a MIME type, but MOAP
has no such ability, this is a detail specified in all web browsers: the
Content-Type and Content-Disposition headers sent by the server are
authoritative.

As a test, what happens if you put that same URL to one of the MOV, AVI,
WMV files you are testing with directly into Chrome?  Does Chrome start
playing it, or does it download the file?  If the former it should play,
barring CODEC issues like MPEG4.  If the latter, the files should be put on
a server intended for playing media, not sharing downloadable files.