[opensource-dev] Linux

Nicky D. sl.nicky.ml at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 30 09:41:07 PST 2017

> For the time being, we expect that it will be based on the current system,
> modified to use system libraries rather than autobuild packages that build a
> static executable (some packages will be used in our builds for proprietary
> components).  I'm not sure that answers your question...

This is the old Squeeze based Debian?

> Granted, *.deb is a much used package manager for debian and derived
> distros. Will any other distro package managers be developed? I assume the
> answer is no so, will OS developer submissions of other package manager
> formats be accepted?
>
> Let's worry about getting one to work... if we're wildly successful with
> that and there's a good reason to do something else, we'll discuss it.

I'm not sure yet what to make out of this change, as we possible need
to see a deb to see
about some of the consequences. Just a few thoughts:

- Standalone is afaik broken since a long time, for example there is
missing FindXXX.cmake
files for various packages.

- As far as I know are there no system packages for (at least) glod,
colladadom, breakpad and cef.

- Some distributions only ship openjpeg2, not 1.4 or 1.5 (for example
I cannot find anything older than 2
for Debian Wheezy). Possibly this can be worked around with non
standard deb repositories in apt.conf.

- Compiling the deb eg on Squeeze and trying to install it on
something Wheezy based could lead to
interesting results, due to the dependent packages from the Squeeze
system being recorded in the deb.
(Or compiling on Wheezy and installing on Jessie and so on).

- VLC: Henri pointed out a few times, that the VLC api is not exactly
stable between releases.

- Boost will be interesting