[opensource-dev] compiling viewer-release on linux

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Fri Sep 21 20:33:00 PDT 2018

   Here's how I currently compile successfully on Linux.
This builds the development version 5.1.9, not the
release version.

Install all prerequisites per
http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_compiling_firestorm_64bit_ubuntu

Create a working directory for the version you're building.

     hg clone http://hg.phoenixviewer.com/phoenix-firestorm-lgpl
     hg clone https://hg.phoenixviewer.com/fs-build-variables/
     export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.9
     export CXX=/usr/bin/g++-4.9
     export AUTOBUILD_VARIABLES_FILE=`readlink -f
fs-build-variables/variables`
     cd phoenix-firestorm-lgpl
     /usr/local/bin/autobuild configure -A 64 -c ReleaseFS_open

     nice /usr/local/bin/autobuild build -A 64 -c ReleaseFS_open

That builds fine on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.  If you change something
in the source, just return the last step to rebuild.

If you want it to not crash with the 5-channel texture bug,
apply the patch at

https://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-22652

LL's fix for that isn't merged in yet.

I've been running this version for about a month now without
trouble.