[sldev] Second Life competition

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 08:55:01 PDT 2007

> Actually the primary criteria *I* am using is, is it a free-form
> environment primarily meant for socializing? User created content is a
> secondary criteria.

For me, in-world user-created dynamically programmable content is
pretty much absolute hard requirement. I don't think there will be VR
tech in my lifetime that's good enough to make a VR environment that
doesn't let me toss a script in an object any time I want more
attractive than SL.

>> 2) Inventory can be marked transitory for "demo" purposes. You can
>> buy any
>> item with a "try out" flag and get something like 10 minutes use
>> out of it.
>> This is especially important for clothing in SL which frequently
>> does not
>> fit at all and is frequently mo mod, but would be almost as
>> important for
>> anything else.

> YES!

I have mixed feelings about this. My experience with demo clothes in
There was that they were used as an excuse to force people to pay more.

What I'd most want to see in SL is to eliminate no-mod clothing and
skins, or at least limit "no mod" to mean something like "you can't
colorize it or replace the textures". The idea that I can buy clothes
that can fit me skin-tight no matter what shape I am, but I can't
wear them with the sleeves rolled up, is just plain weird.

> When open source simulators become usable, I'm kinda hoping someone
> will
> hack in support for variable sized sims...

It'll be interesting to see how many scripted object break when y and
z can be greater than 256. :)

Really need an "integer llInRegion(vector v)" call.