[sldev] Scripting the client

Dzonatas dzonatas at dzonux.net
Thu Aug 2 08:14:48 PDT 2007

Matt Kimmel wrote:
> If we're already thinking forward to a day when the client runs a Mono
> VM, it seems to me like it might be worth setting that as a goal now,
> rather than going through the pain of integrating traditional Python and
> later replacing it with Mono/IronPython.

Mmhmm. Has there been any research done to determine if Mono/.NET runs
on the same number of platforms as python 2.5?

Python can solve the immediate features demands.  Its implementation
should be limited to that. From there when those demands have been met
and those pains healed, I suggest to decide to continue with greater
integration of python or move to a goal like Mono as you suggest, which
I think the later will happen.

There is a lot of benefits to have Mono/.NET in the viewer, which I'll
remain subtle about because of potential security concerns. More
visibility on such managed code basis no doubt will lead to greater
security awareness and further VM improvement. The ECMA VM is an
abstracted layer that can be abstracted again when needed. =)

--
Power to Change the Void