[sldev] Scripting the client

Dzonatas dzonatas at dzonux.net
Thu Aug 2 20:55:00 PDT 2007

Lawson English wrote:

> Er, it is? I was thinking more along the line of LL using scriptable
> avatars and other scripted client-side activities to test things
> further along in the process.

Exactly. I'm sure that idea will dependently need automation from the
start.  A build request includes the scripts to test the new features as
soon as the build is done. Is there a reason why testing, as you
describe, should wait after a build is done? Essentially, there is a lot
of the build and QA phases that can be automated together. I believe
your idea combined with some of the work I've done will help LL get
passed an oversighted legal blunder. (blooper?)

We LL won't like it at first for the tediousness. Pardon my earlier rap.
It's one of my silly ways of showing security issues without giving away
the answer. (If that hasn't been predictable by now!)

Just think as the idea evolves. Someone in-world could request support
assistance, and then a scripted avatar (or bot) teleports-in and helps
them. The bot itself becomes kinda-sorta a new "UI" to SL. It could do
anything from walkthroughs to control a sim that the person requested
support on to showing someone how to put on an attachment. Even better
yet, someone reports abuse and the bot independently records video on
the scene (!!!).

It can't be any more tedious then... teaching a baby to walk. Just one's
own real life baby is more enjoyable to teach.

--
Power to Change the Void