[sldev] New Viewer Shell Proposal

Dale Glass dale at daleglass.net
Tue Aug 21 02:38:42 PDT 2007

On Wed, Aug 15, 2007 at 11:03:57AM -0700, Ben Glenn wrote:
> It's been a while since I've posted to the list so I want to start by
> thanking everyone who's been helping out with efforts to improve usability
> in the Viewer, either by attending office hours and bug triages, filing and
> managing bugs in Jira, or sending me useful suggestions via email. It's all
> incredibly useful, so thanks!
> [snip]

Wishlist:

1. Make the UI an independent thread. I want UI to work always at the
same speed things work in the OS. It's incredibly annoying to get
scripting or even chatting done at 2 FPS (fortunately I don't have to
endure this torture anymore but many people still do). If the UI wasn't
laggy, bad framerate would be a lot more tolerable.

2. Use Qt instead of your own system. Will look a lot closer to native,
and those people work full time on this stuff, so it'll be more
polished. Licensing seems very compatible with OSS, too.