[sldev] Re: New Viewer Shell Proposal

Chance Unknown chance at kalacia.com
Thu Aug 23 09:17:40 PDT 2007

its platform agnostic when i choose to use it on solaris, or qnx, or
linux, or x11, or macosx, or win2k, or winxp, or vista, or beos, or vms, or
amigaos, or __ (fill in the blank, im sure i missed one), or any other platform
that has an opengl implementation that someone is willing to port to.

now give me a clue on what common UI widget set is already
available on such a diverse bunch of operating systems?

ummm... besides people get off on reimplementing widgets -- its always the
case that a generic widget library wasn't invented here, and therefore
it will not work the way I LIKE.

and then there is the internationalization issue for every
native OS widget set. lets not forget we need to get lots more people
on board to make sure the native OS supports lingua'de'jour and is
translated and functioning properly. failed regression testing is one of
the deadly plagues of pox induced on all of us by LL since the birth date
of my oldest avatar.

regression test : quality control : those two requirements literally
demand that the number of source lines added and platforms targeted
remain as small as possible. how about a windows only build?
mm, nah? then it sounds like the correct implementation is the
SL widget set, for a SL look and feel, using opengl as the lowest
common interface layer.

immersive experience issues aside; look at it from a support and
maintenance perspective. i think we really want support and maintenance
built into the process. i would take both of those as the latest new
cool feature to be integrated into the baseline. i think i could even
do without purple sky for another 6 months....