[sldev] Re: New Viewer Shell Proposal

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 10:08:30 PDT 2007

On 23-Aug-2007, at 11:17, Chance Unknown wrote:
> now give me a clue on what common UI widget set is already
> available on such a diverse bunch of operating systems?

Apart from the fact that there aren't OpenGL bindings for all those
operating systems and at least one does not even run on any computer
powerful enough for SL, and that I wasn't talking about the
implementation but the look-and-feel? Apart from all that? I can
think of one off the top of my head... Tk.

I'm pretty sure Tk has been ported to all of them except BeOS... with
native look-and-feel on everything SL currently runs on... and it has
bindings for Tcl, Perl, Lua, and Scheme for scripting... about the
only major scripting language that doesn't have a Tk binding already
is Javascript.

Ref: http://wiki.tcl.tk/17264, http://wiki.tcl.tk/2420.

Making Tk the top level and running the SL UI in an OpenGL canvas
widget would give us all kinds of cool functionality.

Going the other direction? There's been a number of GUI-inside-OpenGL
toolkits, but they all seem to be defunct.

Now on a completely different issue: I agree ... there are definitely
support issues going to native widgets. But not using native widgets
is really hurting SL's ability to support multiple top-level windows
and there are definite user-interface problems on MacOS because of
SL's non-standard key bindings. Do you see a way to address these
problems inside the current framework? The Linden proposal seems to
be going in a completely different direction.