[sldev] Re: New Viewer Shell Proposal

John Hurliman jhurliman at wsu.edu
Thu Aug 23 10:55:45 PDT 2007

Argent Stonecutter wrote:
> Now on a completely different issue: I agree ... there are definitely
> support issues going to native widgets. But not using native widgets
> is really hurting SL's ability to support multiple top-level windows
> and there are definite user-interface problems on MacOS because of
> SL's non-standard key bindings. Do you see a way to address these
> problems inside the current framework? The Linden proposal seems to be
> going in a completely different direction.

For the second problem I think I can see a solution; changing the
keybindings on OSX. You could even take it a step further and make them
configurable through an XML file, which doesn't require porting the
viewer to Tk. Question about the Tk/QT/GTK (why hasn't anyone mentioned
GTK?) rewrite though, how does fullscreen work? Generally, to make the
integration work you create an OpenGL rendering surface somewhere inside
of a traditional window, so you wouldn't have the ability to switch to
fullscreen (using the traditional OpenGL methods at least). I know with
DirectX (like my SculptedPreview program) you can draw UI elements on
top of a 3D rendering surface, but I haven't tested what happens in
fullscreen or whether that is supported outside of DirectX/XNA.

John Hurliman