[sldev] Improving the avatar in SL: hair...

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Sun Aug 26 20:05:14 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-27 at 00:08 +0200, Dale Glass wrote:
> I'm not familiar with this subject, but I wonder:
>
> Would it be possible to create a sort of shader editor inside SL, which
> would then generate something that'd work on all the hardware SL
> supports and couldn't be malicious?

In theory you could just allow people to write shaders in GLSL. I'm not
up on the spec but seems to me that should be safe, the worst people
could do is maybe lock up the video card, and I would hope that would
only be because of bugs in the GL driver's compiler.

"works on all hardware SL supports" isn't really feasible, as SL happily
runs on cards that don't do GLSL.