[sldev] Source reorganization needed

Dzonatas dzonatas at dzonux.net
Tue Aug 28 09:49:18 PDT 2007

That's LL's mode to keep the operation proprietary, call the bi-product
open source and reap the benefits of "gruntwork" done on the bi-product.

It would be cool if the virtue of Open Source is carried to the
operation itself, but that is not happening here. You need to either
work for LL or have signed their public contribution agreement in order
for them to call your work Open Source -- and that's not flying to well
with the Open Source community.

If any reorganization needs to be done, it is to completely separate
what is intended to be Open Source software form that which is being
controlled by proprietary means. The OS community wants to distribute
the code as Open Source and wants to submit code as Open Source, but it
is a barrier and not Open Source if one as to sign proprietary agreements.

I didn't want to make a tizzy about this, but since some employees at LL
have demonstrated that they do not wish to uphold the agreement I had
with LL -- I have to fall back to true Open Source terms pointed out to
only be within the limits of the Open Source Definition.

If a company thinks that the best in the Open Source community is a
bunch of gruntworkers, then I say someone in that company has been
smoking a pipe dream.

People in the OS community want to put forth excellent work. They know
there will be gruntwork needed, but that should not be the qualifier in
order to perform their art because that is like cleaning up after
someone else's mess, so that someone else can have fun and be more happy.

Don't shit on the Open Source community with leftovers because that just
is not "your world; your imagination." I feel stupid for buying into
this crap. Yep, you got me.. you fooled me, LL.

I invested all my time and money into this and what did I get back...
Robla saying "go get profession help."

--
Power to Change the Void