Collaborating on docs for standards (Re: [sldev] Fresh new code: eventlet and mulib)

Rob Lanphier robla at lindenlab.com
Tue Aug 28 17:41:05 PDT 2007

On 8/28/07 5:31 PM, John Hurliman wrote:
> I vote for wiki.sl.com and JIRA. JIRA categories can be made for each
> project which makes it easy to filter and track based on what you are
> looking for, and the wiki is already being touted as the "one stop
> solution" for documentation about everything SL. Plus, I'm told
> documentation on the SL wiki is license compatible with being reframed
> in to documents that can be submitted as a standard due to the
> contribution agreements.

What a great segue into a different topic.  This came up on a panel that
John and I were both on at SLCC.

One thing we'd /love/ to see is standards-ready documentation of our
protocols and formats on wiki.secondlife.com.  One big perk of
contributing documentation under our contributor agreement is that it
enables us to relicense that in a manner that's compatible with any
standards body out there (e.g. IETF, W3C, etc).  If we used the standard
GFDL-type regime that most wikis used, we'd have to ask each contributor
for permission to submit whatever document we come up with, since most
standards bodies don't accept GFDL licensed documents.

Rob