[sldev] OS-SL Development Issues (was Upcoming viewer releases)

Dale Glass dale at daleglass.net
Wed Aug 29 02:43:55 PDT 2007

On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 11:32:17PM -0700, Harold Brown wrote:
> It took 3 years for all that to happen...  and people here are falling all
> over each other complaining that the Lindens haven't gotten it right in 6
> months?  That other OpenSource projects are better... well no shit, they
> started out as OpenSource... they don't have to change everything that
> they're used to do things how the community expects.
IMO, that's a somewhat inaccurate impression.

I can only speak for myself, but on my part, I don't have any huge
problems with LL at the moment. Sure, some things could be better, there
could be more communication, etc. But my current overall impression is
that things are OK and getting better.

You've got to have in mind that for every person complaining there might
well be somebody who is quietly coding. People generally don't post
"everything is fine" for no reason.

> But yes... the Lindens do need to improve on things... communication is one
> of them.  Yes the office hours are nice, I like to read Zero Lindens since I
> can't attend them as they are in SL during a time I'm at work and unable to
> attend (note text only like IRC I could attend)
There are text clients now, you could try that.

> Let's do a little review of our communication channels.....
>
> IRC...
> The #OpenSL channel is almost always dead, very little conversation there at
> all, and the number of lindens... well usually there is Rob. Vektor and Joe
> make appearances in the #secondlife channel.  But they don't really talk
My problem with IRC is that it's something I find inconvenient when
using SL.

My development environment is: SL on one monitor, IDE on another. Paying
attention to IRC is inconvenient, I'd idle all day even if I logged in.
Why not create a SL group instead?

I already use SL, why add more things external to it? If SL isn't good
enough, then SL should be improved until it is.

> And no the Lindens aren't the only ones at fault for not communicating, the
> non-linden developers need to communicate about more then what new beef they
Problem is, time spent communicating is time not spent coding :-)

> have with the Lindens.  Currently I believe Nicholaz is the only one
> releasing an OpenSource build, although there was the "Sandbox Edition" for
> 1.18.0.6, Dale has his custom work he's working on...  But what I don't see
No he isn't, I've started releasing my own long ago:
http://sl.daleglass.net

New version coming out soon. Today maybe.

> is discussion about how patches are working out..  I know Nicholaz has quite
> a few people using his version... but unless we're one of the people using
> it... we have no idea when a new release is... what new PJIRA patches he's
> included, or even what issues he's had.
Can't speak for him, but I post some news on my blog
(http://daleglass.wordpress.com), you can subscribe to RSS there. Might
code a RSS feed for new versions, too.

> I'd like to see the release notes for the current "Nicholaz Edition" posted
> here each time a release is made... because that right there is our test
> bed... not "When is my patch going to get into the official client".... but
> "When did it go into Nicholaz client.. and what are people saying"
Well, if you feel like that I'll start doing that with my viewer here as
well. I was thinking it'd be a bit too much spam, especially when Rob
started saying there was too much traffic and trying to move discussions
to the wiki.

In my case, the answer to "When is my patch going to get into the
official client" is usually "not any time soon". I work on new
experimental features, and most of my stuff isn't yet suitable for
inclusion.

There's also that the things I want to include may be too obscure for
inclusion in the general viewer.