[sldev] Re: Upcoming viewer releases? (Soft Linden)

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 03:14:18 PDT 2007

> What are other examples of the bubble, especially ones where you
> see things getting worse?

I would like to see some more concern given to making sure that
changes to the API and UI for new features are made in ways that
maximize consistency with each other and with existing features.

* There's still no way in the UI to set the type of a sculpt texture.
When flexis were brought in, changes to the editor interface came
almost the same time as the API, and the parameters in the API were
made sure to match the UI.
* Correspondingly, the llGetPrimitiveParams call didn't work for
reading sculpt textures. I haven't seen any announcement that this
was fixed.
* There's still no way in the API to get any information about
whether avatars are voice enabled, nor in the UI except by enabling
voice.
* The voice UI changes have already been discussed.
* There's no API for animating sculpt textures matching the one for
animating surface textures.
* There's no UI for animating surface textures, that can only be done
through the API.
* The recent change to the API allowing you to set the scale for
animated surface textures isn't matched in the UI... changing scale
in the UI has no effect. And I didn't see any announcement of this
change in the API.

Of these problems, only the lack of an UI for animating surface
textures is old, and this stuff was handled much better for flexible
prims than for sculpted prims.