[sldev] How to debug X server crash?

Boroondas Gupte sllists at boroon.dasgupta.ch
Wed Aug 29 03:29:46 PDT 2007

> Anybody knows what could be done to obtain something more useful than
> the backtrace above?

First place to look would be
http://www.x.org/wiki/?action=fullsearch&context=180&value=debug&titlesearch=Titles
I guess.

I recently reported a bug to GNOME and was told how to get more verbose
traces.

Perhaps the instructions for debugging GNOME would work for X, too. (If
you ignore BugBuddy related stuff)

See
http://live.gnome.org/GettingTraces/DistroSpecificInstructions
http://live.gnome.org/GettingTraces/Details#gdb-not-yet-running
http://live.gnome.org/GettingTraces/Details#gdb-already-running

especially
http://live.gnome.org/GettingTraces/DistroSpecificInstructions#head-48a730f2a3b1cc4497e8507a87ecc55320bdb493
looks interesting, as it gives you a binary that'll run normal speed, and
still can give verbose traces. However I don't know how easy that's to do
for distros other than Gentoo.

However your description of the symptoms sounds to me, like the graphic
card driver might come in, too. I guess it'll be difficult if not
impossible to get debug symbols into that.

Boroondas