[sldev] Source reorganization needed

Dale Glass dale at daleglass.net
Wed Aug 29 08:31:36 PDT 2007

On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 08:05:47AM -0700, Dzonatas wrote:
> Linux may be a bad example since it is known that there is effort to
> separate the core of Linux from all the devices. Torvalds and a few
> others my be at the center of the trust feeds but at least they show
> effort to decentralize that responsibility. Torvalds stated pretty
> clearly about the scheme of Git was to put the responsibility on the
> downstream of the trust feed, as it was wasting upstream's time to
> figure out how to merge and test code.
On the contrary, it's a very good example for the point I wanted to
make.

My impression is that you had some expectations that didn't pan out, but
I don't think there's any open source project that promises to do
anything with your contributions.

Back to the Linux example: Linus Torvalds very specifically said that he
doesn't consider his job to be the guy who merges patches, rather the
one who *rejects* them.

But I'm even more confused now, so maybe I just lack the needed context
to understand what's going on.

> That 'waste of time' is pretty clear. LL had the notion to relate me as
> a 'waste of time' under a similar condition. I think we find proof here
> with Torvald's Git work that I'm not the 'waste of time' for my attempts
> to send code upstream, however. (I didn't start the fire on that bridge.)
What waste of time? I grepped the archives and couldn't come up with
anything that would seem like the explanation.