[sldev] Weird problem with maps and cursors on the 1.18.0.6 source build

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Wed Aug 29 10:44:19 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-08-29 at 18:50 +0200, Barney Boomslang wrote:
> I am working on building the Nicholaz' Edition for the macintosh. When
> I have the version built with the delivered libraries, the maps have
> the problem that the map tiles are only shown in the upper-left
> corner. This sounds a lot like an issue that was discussed in VWR-123
> - but that one is closed as fixed and the patches seem to have been
> incorporated. But with my own 1.18.0.6 build, this problem shows still
> - map is broken, tiles are reduced to upper-left corner.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-1815

Basically there's a bug when encoding then decoding lossless textures
with OpenJPEG. The workaround is to use lossy encoding instead, which
for whatever reason doesn't have this problem. I posted a patch for
this:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-1475

> Any hints on what direction to take would be appreciated. Especially
> if someone else allready had this problem and maybe found a fix for
> it.

Not much you can do about it, except maybe find the bug. :) Someone at
LL has to "fix" the backend map generators to generate lossy images.
Though that would mean lossless encoding, desirable for sculpties, is
still broken.

I've recently opened a can of worms, OpenJPEG is full of static arrays
and data buffers inside various structures that bloat memory usage and
pad out the arrays of structures it makes heavy use of, destroying cache
performance. I've been working on changing them to be dynamically
allocated for a nice increase in speed, (I'm now at about %30 compared
to stock 1.2) but this has revealed some buffer underruns in the
encoder, meaning whatever was in the structure before the buffer was
probably getting stomped on! "Working on it."