[sldev] Fresh new code: eventlet and mulib

Ryan Williams (Which) rdw at lindenlab.com
Wed Aug 29 12:54:24 PDT 2007

Kamilion wrote:
> I second this idea.
>
> Actually, would it be possible to generate the tree the way the LL
> internal repo´s set up? I´m betting you guys are going to slowly
> trickle other bits of code like this, and it would probably be a lot
> easier for the LL devs to keep track of a single tree structure of
> projects, and easier for us to keep up with it.
> Just my 2 cents...

Our internal setup is not a good example, unless you like 2-gigabyte
wodges of code that take forever to check out, and incredible numbers of
internal dependencies.  There's no separation beyond convention between
viewer, simulator, and various little utilities. This is a major reason
why our code export is infrequent and broken.  The team that put
together the first open source release did some heroic work to make a
subset of this monolith compile and run at all.

I believe there is an internal effort (Sardonyx?) to pull the beast
apart and try to make the various parts more loosely coupled.  Pulling
out eventlet and mulib is a step in the "Right" direction in that
sense.  So, yeah, I think that some stuff will be trickled out in the
Linden-tree structure, and sometimes we'll be able to go the extra mile
and pull apart loosely-coupled pieces of code into their own parts.

(note: the above may contain improper statements of fact and needless
wind-blowing)

-RYaN