[sldev] Re: Upcoming viewer releases?

Ryan Williams (Which) rdw at lindenlab.com
Wed Aug 29 13:29:32 PDT 2007

Callum Lerwick wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-08-29 at 12:17 -0700, Ryan Williams (Which) wrote:
>
>>> Internally, LL has mail lists that are very chatty. I'm surprised more
>>> Lindens aren't brave enough to post externally. There is probably some
>>> worry about insider information, but the chatty groups have nothing to
>>> be kept inside. Security issues obviously need to stay internal. I
>>> believe I read somewhere about an effort to put all viewer related
>>> changes on the external jira, so that there would be nothing internal
>>> about it.
>>>

> Hahahaha. So SL devs have time to spend on internal mailing lists, but
> spending time on an external one is just too much?

I didn't mean to agree with that statement about our mailing lists, I
was referring only to internal vs. PJIRA.  There are chatty internal
mailing lists, but the developers list is not one of them.  The
highest-traffic list is misc, which many people don't sign up for or
read.  So, some people have a higher tolerance for email volume than
others, doesn't matter whether it's external or internal.

> Why move them? Why should they move? Why should I move? You have to
> realize, speaking for myself, Second Life isn't the only project I'm
> involved in. I'm involved in Fedora, OpenJPEG, some contract work, and
> various other things, all of which operate through mailing lists and
> personal emails. Email is the center of my workflow. Trying to force me
> to Jira and Wiki is taking Second Life out of my established workflow.
> If you force me to go babysit Jira and the wiki, most likely I'm going
> to simply forget to do so. And I do.

Email notifications in JIRA are a huge help.  I never actually visit the
internal JIRA, it just pokes me via email.  We've already agreed that we
need to have this for the PJIRA before Lindens are going to hop on it
for reals, so there is effort in that direction.

-RYaN