[sldev] Mailing list chatter (Re: Upcoming viewer releases?)

Ettore Pasquini ettore_pasquini at 3dconnexion.com
Wed Aug 29 15:52:33 PDT 2007

On 8/29/07 3:34 PM, "Argent Stonecutter" <secret.argent at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 29-Aug-2007, at 13:53, Dale Glass wrote:
>> My suggestion, if you really think this is too much traffic, is to
>> split
>> the mailing list.
>
> I second that. When someone says "take this discussion to XXX", XXX
> should be a mailing list (or a newsgroup), not a wiki.
>
> In fact I think splitting the list should be a fairly common thing,
> for a while.
>
> sldev
> sldev-forks
> sldev-sculpties
> sldev-chat
> sldev-graphics
> sldev-stability
> sldev-performance

I think this is a good way of splitting. However, although splitting makes
the list easier to read, I think things that are naturally inter-related
should be in the same list. For instance, stability and performance are too
pervasive to be separate. Almost every sub-system can affect stability.
Similarly for performance, although in SL it's more bound to critical areas
(such as graphics).

IMHO Graphics and chat seem two well focused areas that could deserve their
own channels, given the amount of discussion they generate.

Just my 0.02 L$...

> sldev-I-dont-know-what-else...

Other ideas:
sldev-meta (policies, licensing, etc. everything non-strictly engineering)
sldev-new-features

-Ettore