[sldev] Predefined animations

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Fri Dec 14 09:06:11 PST 2007

Robin Cornelius wrote:
> On Dec 14, 2007 3:34 PM, alexander treptow
> <alexander.treptow at zweitgeist.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> does anyone knows where to find the predefined animations, like walk,
>> clap, cheer and so on? Are they in the viewer source or do i get them
>> from server.
>>

> They are assets on the server in the same way textures and sound files are.
>
> Some default assets are included in the artwork bundle. Not sure which
> ones but there is a good chance some default anims are there too which
> would save them being downloaded for every viewer.
>

>> If i only get them from server, how can i create my own predefined
>> animations in C code or how can i run LSL code in the viewer without
>> notifying the server.
>>

> What do you want to do, are you attempting to test animations on real
> avatars before uploading? if so use the beta grid. Why do you not want
> to notify the server?
>
> You can't really create new predefined animations because if you hack
> that only you would see it. You can override any of the default
> animations in world with appropriate script and animations to hand.
>

> Robin

In the long run, I can see a need for a hybrid quasi-in-world animation
editor to complement the existing appearance editor (which also needs to
be updated).

In fact, I can see a long-term need for a quasi-in-world editing system
to complement ALL current editing systems, including build, appearance,
animation, etc.

Such a system would use a private 3D world that would be merged with the
"real" 3D scene graph in the viewer and allow client-side editing of any
and all aspects of the system, from prims and sculpties to gestures and
animation, even sound. The editing would be performed client-side at
full speed with full manipulation and control mechanisms for a normal
external editor for such data, and would not post the update to the
normal sim server until the user was satisfied with the
appearance/behavior of whatever he was manipulating to allow for the
highest level of editing-control.

Such a system is impossible to create using the current client, but that
situation will hopefully change relatively soon, as the modular client
project of the AW Groupies matures.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Multi-Process_Client_VAG_--_draft

Lawson