[sldev] [VWR] QA, CHTTP, Compiling 1.18.6.1, standalone build and no llmozlib (to CEO)

Dzonatas dzonatas at dzonux.net
Tue Dec 18 14:59:47 PST 2007

I do appreciate the reply.  Maybe when LL employees have some spare time
they can read this.

Dzonatas wrote:
> Textures are one thing...  but damn look at protecting programs and
> their data.  No, simple web services are not enough.

An example of how simple web services or how simple POSTs, GETs, and
DELETEs, are not enough:

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Project_Motivation

The scary numbers.

People want to create business on a platform like Second Life. Right
now, Linden Lab publishes releases of source code. The QA on those
releases are very limited to just making sure the server and viewer
works as expected. When we plug in the scary numbers, we can see that
there will be 60 million regions worth of programs running beyond the
server and viewer itself. Times that by about 1000 active scripts for
each region.

What manpower is it going to take to make sure 60 billion scripts have
been reliably QA'd?

People want to make sure they can say their business is reliable. Right
now, without automation, the is not enough people on earth to test every
single script to make sure any update made does not have a disfunctional
effect.

Is Linden Lab brave enough to say that LL will continue to push updates
every week and have business come back and ask if those updates have
been QA'd with that business's scripts?  Of course, LL alone doesn't
even have to manpower to test all the scripts on the grid at this time.
How can LL possible say they can guarantee such reliability? Impossible.

That is where a line is drawn between being a funny virtual game and
being a reliable platform.

Automation, like this, can not be avoided. Jobs will be affected. We can
only hope for the positive and make sure people can stay in a job
status. That may make it obvious that the LL today won't be the same LL
tomorrow.

I think about these factors. I had full access to billions worth of U.S.
dollars. (The job I let go before I hit bottom from losing my kids.) My
work affected peoples jobs, but it did not fuck-up the banks and their
economies that people rely upon every second.

Second Life and your job is just a so-said "virtual" world that
experiences downtime. Luckily, avatars don't need to eat, have shelter,
or need recovery in case of a disaster.

My job may have put 800 people on the street, but it did not put 50
billion dollars worth of jobs, food, banks, business, and millions of
affected people on the street.

Ironical, LL tries to informally hire me but tries to put me on the
street to "do me a favor." It was pretty obvious when James asked me the
stupid interview question about pennies on a sphere. LL is not in the
business to put pennies on a sphere, so who cares what kind of answer
was said. Very um.. bright!

To this day, I'm still faced with the court saying I'm worth a lot (from
the my work experience) and threatens to put me in jail if I don't make
some fictional amount they came up with for what I'm worth.

Does LL disagree with the court and says I'm worth the street? LL hasn't
fully hired me as of yet beyond a currently non-paying CA.

Ah! I'm haven't been just insanely talking my head on this list for the
past months. I'm being threatened in different ways, and I don't have
the answer to stop it.

Keep in mind "scary" numbers. Am I worth some "scary" fictional amount?
McDs and like jobs don't even pay enough to settle it.. I still get the
threats. I'm tired, and I'm asking for a decent job that would settle
the court.

The court threatens me. Takes away things until I prove innocence (for
which I'm not found guilty). I tell LL (and other business I've tried)
what I can do. After so many turn downs, you think I could tell the
court that I'm not worth that much they say. It is not that simple. I
may be rusty at times, but I prove I can do that job and keep the right
focus about it. Think the court will accept me telling them that
business don't want to hire me?  Nope, they either make me get any job
or put me in jail. You wonder why I'm rusty -- time spent in jobs
unrelated to my expertise.

Hmm... we were talking about reliability and jobs.

Ok, Court, you ask LL to hire me and find out why not.

Ok, LL, you ask Court why I'm worth so much and tell them why you won't
fully hire me cause you think I'm not worth it.

You two battle it out. I'm tired, and I wanted to be with my kids and
show them a real life.

--
Power to Change the Void