[sldev] [VWR] QA, CHTTP, Compiling 1.18.6.1, standalone build and no llmozlib (to CEO)

Dzonatas dzonatas at dzonux.net
Tue Dec 18 13:20:07 PST 2007

Ryan Williams (Which) wrote:
> I think a simple web service would be sufficient.  It's not like you
> have to have strongly-guaranteed exactly-once messaging semantics for
> automated builds.  Also, don't limit Certified HTTP to being a
> "python-only" service -- it's just HTTP with some dingalings!

That sounds like oversimplifying the build process to yesteryears
technology.  I'm not thinking just about python. I'm not thinking just
about C++ or such.

There are several layers involved here that can be combined.  Some
probably see Mono/C# as an attempt to do it. The argument was for a
unified build. Some suggested the coolness of using a preferred C# IDE
(like VS, etc) that can compile for scripts in-world. That only is the
tip of the iceberg of what is possible. Nevertheless, it does not mean
Mono or Python are the answer. If one wants to take the idea much
further, there are steps that can be done now.

Textures are one thing...  but damn look at protecting programs and
their data.  No, simple web services are not enough.

I guess QT was not enough of a lesson. Must have been a very stupid and
foolish hoax if nothing learned.

Programs (in-world scripts and source code for viewer and servers, etc)
are assets, too. Keeping them centralized is also not enough. QA is
going to go way beyond what you have demonstrated so far.

--
Power to Change the Void