[sldev] How Asset server handles saving of scripts

Hamncheese me at hamncheeseomlet.com
Wed Dec 19 15:26:00 PST 2007

This is done probably for performance reasons. It is more performant to
insert a new row in a table than to locate, lock, and then update, release
lock.

Also, I'm pretty sure that script uploads go through CAPS today. The client
side compile, then upload model (see LLPreviewLSL::uploadAssetLegacy) is
being ditched in favor of upload file over HTTPClient::Post (see
LLPreviewLSL::uploadAssetViaCaps).

Part of the disconnect of the missing asset problem is that when LL
personnel (QA, etc) run SL they go through legacy instead of CAPS (from what
I can tell). What I think the developer forgot in the CAPS model is that
HTTP is not guaranteed delivery (upstream or downstream).

I think to get a definitive answer, you need to talk to someone at LL,
because all this is largely guess work on my part.