[sldev] Question by newbie to viewer source ...

Jay Reynolds Freeman jay_reynolds_freeman at mac.com
Sun Dec 30 16:11:45 PST 2007

I am rather a newbie to this list and to the SL viewer source.

I have one of those questions which may betray my ignorance
and be easily answered by providing a pointer to documentation
I have missed; please indulge me while I ask it.

I am attempting to build a modified viewer for use in MacOS.
I can download sources and get them to build and run with no
problem, and I am a moderately experienced Mac developer, Cocoa
user, and XCode user.  So far, so good, but ...

I am particularly interested in access to information provided
by the SL servers, to the viewer, that describes the locations
and perhaps various items of state about objects, about avatars,
and in particular, about the avatar that represents the user.
I am also wondering if any collision-detection information
is provided by the servers to the viewer (I believe I understand
that all collision-detection is done on the servers, but wonder
if that information is passed down to the viewer.)

I have been through the wiki in some detail, and what appears to be
the most promising wiki pages, "Rendering System" and "Viewer
Object System", are at the moment just stubs.

Is there any other documentation I should look at?  What source
files, class names, and method names are particularly important
to look for?  What questions should I be asking if I were not
such an ignoramus?

Thanks for any pointers, and apologies for wasting bandwidth.

Hoping to avoid doing a full calls tree ...

--  Jay Reynolds Freeman (CeeJay Tigerpaw)
Jay_Reynolds_Freeman at mac.com
http://web.mac.com/jay_reynolds_freeman (personal web site)