[sldev] Request for LL feedback on avatar scanner features

Rob Lanphier robla at lindenlab.com
Thu Feb 1 11:05:01 PST 2007

Hi Dale,

Comments inline:

On 1/30/07 3:39 PM, Dale Glass wrote:
> I've been working on an avatar scanner right in the client. Here's the
> screenshot of a recent build:
>
> http://daleglass.net/images/screenshots/avlist3_001.jpg
>
> I would like to ask, just in case, if LL would have any problem with
any of
> the features that I'm working on. I wouldn't want to infringe any sort of
> policy or anything like that.

Most aspects don't run afoul of any policies that I'm aware of, though
the main concern that I have is increased load on our services by one of
the features.   That said, it looks quite interesting. Torley pointed
out to me that this can help fulfill this feature request:
http://secondlife.com/vote/get_feature.php?get_id=905
> * Automatically retrieves the birth date, account type and payment data for
> all users shown. The data is of course cached, and if this is too much of an
> extra load, I'll implement a permanent on-disk cache. If data doesn't arrive,
> it will retry with an exponential backoff (starting from 1 minute, doubling
> until 30 minutes)

Please fetch this information on demand rather than doing so
automatically.  At a minimum, please have a default "off" checkbox for
"Fetch account information".  To be honest, I don't know how much extra
load this feature would really impose, but in general, we're pretty
sensitive to the load issues right now.

(Dale's full proposal is here:
https://lists.secondlife.com/pipermail/sldev/2007-January/000291.html )

Rob