[sldev] Request for LL feedback on avatar scanner features

Dale Glass dale at daleglass.net
Thu Feb 1 12:50:30 PST 2007

В сообщении от 1 февраля 2007 20:05 Rob Lanphier написал(a):

> Most aspects don't run afoul of any policies that I'm aware of, though
> the main concern that I have is increased load on our services by one of
Yes, I imagined that sort of thing wouldn't necessarily be appreciated, so
thought it'd be best to ask just in case. I'm definitely going to try to add
as little extra load as possible.

BTW, the scripted version of it is already in-world and about 360 people have
it. This one also does the payment/age requests automatically, but it's
limited to 16 avatars and 96m max (configurable). On the other hand, due to
LSL memory constraints, it does a lot less caching. When I was doing it I
didn't think it'd affect things much, but now I'm starting to wonder whether
it might be having a noticeable effect. This version makes normal dataserver
queries, which I assume LL can throttle if needed.

If this is placing too much load on the grid, I'll make changes (make it be
disabled by default, say), and push an update.

Scripted version is available here for free:
http://www.slboutique.com/index.php?p=buy&itemid=153356

> the features.   That said, it looks quite interesting. Torley pointed
> out to me that this can help fulfill this feature request:
> http://secondlife.com/vote/get_feature.php?get_id=905
Thanks :-) I won't be working on this sort of thing right now though. My
experience with C++ is very limited still, so I'm starting from the easier
stuff, and over time will get there.

> Please fetch this information on demand rather than doing so
> automatically.  At a minimum, please have a default "off" checkbox for
> "Fetch account information".
No problem, will do.

> To be honest, I don't know how much extra
> load this feature would really impose, but in general, we're pretty
> sensitive to the load issues right now.
I've been thinking on this, so here's what I came up with so far:

I'm going to store data for every avatar on disk. Since the data currently
queried won't change often this should be very effective. For example:

* Birth date doesn't change ever, so once obtained it'll be stored permanently
* Payment data very seldom changes, and AFAIK doesn't get downgraded.
* Avatar names don't change either, so that could be stored too (wonder if
this could be generalized, since the client seems to have to make a query to
find things like the name of an object's creator)

With this, there would be only one query per avatar with used payment data
(since that won't be changing anymore), and it'll display the cached data if
requesting data is disabled.

One thing I'm thinking about here is whether this could be generalized. For
example, profiles use that data as well, so why not make an "avatar data
cache" and make the rest of the client use it as well?