[sldev] Request for LL feedback on avatar scanner features

Jason Giglio gigstaggart at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 15:25:35 PST 2007

Dale Glass wrote:
> В сообщении от 1 февраля 2007 23:45 Jason Giglio написал(a):
>> Dale Glass wrote:
>>> One thing I'm thinking about here is whether this could be generalized.
>>> For example, profiles use that data as well, so why not make an "avatar
>>> data cache" and make the rest of the client use it as well?
>> It already exists, names.cache.
>
> My name.cache is tiny, and seems to have been created today.
>
> And I'm thinking of something bigger and more general here. Rough idea:
>
> * 1 file per avatar, kept permanently.

I don't think permanent caching is a good idea.

Billing status does change, in both direction.  Names change too.  In
fact, nearly everything on there can change under some circumstances.
You are making dangerous assumptions about what will and won't change.

>  Probably XML format for extensibility

XML is a data interchange format for blind exchange, not for storing
data within an application.

Just make the data "on-request" and leave it at that.  This isn't a huge
volume of data, if you only load it when the user requests.