[sldev] Distribution of openjpeg

Jason Giglio gigstaggart at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 07:34:48 PST 2007

Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 21:03 -0800, Rob Lanphier wrote:
>
>> The policy says "significant functional changes".  I am assuming that
>> any Red Hat patches would be minor integration issues, such as changing
>> locations for files, but not behavioral changes.  Assuming they maintain
>> a similar policy toward the Second Life viewer as they do with other
>> open source projects that maintain strict trademark guidelines (e.g.
>> Firefox), they should be just fine.
>
> Yes, right now, we're just patching for the following:
>
> - file locations
> - using gcc4
> - not using closed source bits
> - not using precompiled libraries

Tom,

Had a brief discussion with Mike Harris on IRC about openjpeg.  I know
he's not Fedora Leadership, and they would probably be best to consult
about this, but he said that Red Hat would likely have to run openjpeg
through an official approval process before it could be included in Fedora.

The issue with openjpeg is the patents.  The numerous applicable patents
are only licensed freely for an ISO Compliant implementation of
jpeg2000.  It is for this reason openjpeg is not DFSG compliant, because
it has encumbrance on the right to modify (into something not ISO
compliant).

I don't know if openjpeg has ever been through any official vetting for
ISO compliance or not.  It is something else you will probably need to
consider.

-Jason