[sldev] Distribution of openjpeg

Francois-Olivier Devaux fodprolux at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 08:36:01 PST 2007

Hi,

I am François-Olivier Devaux, a member of the OpenJPEG team (TELE laboratory
at UCL - Université catholique de Louvain).

It is important to separate JPEG 2000 implementation license issues, and the
patent situation of the JPEG 2000 algorithm.

OpenJPEG, an implementation of the JPEG 2000 standard, is distributed under
a BSD license. UCL has been involved since quite a long time in the JPEG
standardization process (ISO), and OpenJPEG is the reference implementation
to generate JPWL bitstreams (part 11 of the JPEG 2000 standard).

The JPEG 2000 committee has and taken all possible measures to avoid patents
claims (and an agreement has been reached with over 20 large organizations
holding many patents in this area to allow use of their intellectual
property in connection with the standard without payment of license fees or
royalties). Believe me, this threat has been taken very seriously by the
committee. However, risk zero does not exist in the patent field, and like
any algorithm, submarine patents may be present.
This has not frightened the biggest Hollywood studios to select JPEG 2000 as
compression algorithm for Digital Cinema (among other interesting features
about JPEG 2000, they were interested this free licensing).

Regarding the possible JPEG 2000 patents claim, this problem may be applied
to any JPEG 2000 implementation, Jasper, Kakadu, JJ2000 among others.

So I think we can say that there is no licensing issue with OpenJPEG in
Second Life.

In another topic, several persons have contacted us to optimize the code.
We're very happy about that, and invite everybody interested in improving
the code to contact us at openjpeg at tele.ucl.ac.be

-- François-Olivier
www.openjpeg.org