[sldev] Plan for executable switcher

Dale Glass dale at daleglass.net
Fri Feb 23 02:35:58 PST 2007

В сообщении от 23 февраля 2007 10:02 Peekay Semyorka написал(a):
> Dale Glass wrote:
> > Eventually, it's easy enough to end up with a situation where my changes
> > conflict with somebody else's, or do something undesirable with the
> > original executable.
>
> My concern is such a 'switcher' amounts to the exact opposite of a plug-in
> infrastructure; i.e., a mechanism where many plug-ins could co-exist at
> runtime (and maybe even 'co-operate' with each other through shared
> structures.)

Well, of course it's FAR from an ideal solution.

I'm just doing it as a stopgap measure -- I think there is value in letting
people try alternative versions even before plugins are ready, because
plugins are complex and will take a long time to stabilize, and this is
something I can get done this weekend.

The other alternative to this that comes to mind while we lack proper plugins
is creating a branch where everything usable is merged, and distributing
that.