[sldev] LSL initiated Prim metadata was Re: Plugin architecture

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 10:29:35 PST 2007

> The tags are text.  Tag 0 is a string 1024 bytes long.  If
> developers wanted to coordinate to test two features at once, they
> can come up with some kind of delimiter inside the field.

OK, you're using "tag" to describe the entire parameter list, not the
identifier of the parameter list.

Then "I strongly suggest that tags be identified by a guaranteed
unique string, otherwise how would you EVER test something in public?".

> This is hard partly by design, to discourage retail products based
> off beta features that are not accepted by LL.

Are you're saying is that it's acceptable, if I'm got a prim with a
tag I'm testing in an attachment, to randomly crash people around me
who might have an incompatible plugin (remember the plugin
architecture discussion)?

Because someone might create and sell a product that needs you to be
running a plugin? People are going to do that anyway.

You know what's going to happen if they do this? People are going to
write plugins that use Linden tags in undefined ways, the way people
have products that use llSetPrimitiveParams() or llMessageLinked() in
technically illegal and undefined ways, and then Linden Labs will
likely find themselves in a situation where they feel themselves
constrained by those products, the way they've found themselves
bending over backwards to maintain hacks like invisiprims.