[sldev] LSL initiated Prim metadata was Re: Plugin architecture

Jason Giglio gigstaggart at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 09:06:29 PST 2007

Argent Stonecutter wrote:
>> It would not be practical for a retail product to ever rely on a "tag 0"
>> feature, since such a feature, by definition, is of limited deployment,
>> and may in fact even crash clients with a different tag 0 feature
>> enabled.
>
> I strongly suggest that the tags be text, even for test features, rather
> than numbers. They could be a four character code encoded in a 32-bit
> integer, if you like, or better two integers encoding an Apple/Palm
> style "owner" and "type" code.
>
> At the very least you need to have some way of separating different
> developers, otherwise how would you EVER test something in public, or
> test two features in the same client?

The tags are text.  Tag 0 is a string 1024 bytes long.  If developers
wanted to coordinate to test two features at once, they can come up with
some kind of delimiter inside the field.

This is hard partly by design, to discourage retail products based off
beta features that are not accepted by LL.

If Linden Lab didn't care about that as much and wanted it to be more
extensible, then you could just expose a small range of tags like 0-5
for development purposes, and add a tag number parameter to the LSL
function.

-Jason