[sldev] In-client avatar scanner in progress

Dale Glass dale at daleglass.net
Fri Jan 19 19:12:18 PST 2007

Ok, I've been giving this a try, and so far I seem to be getting somewhere.

http://daleglass.net/images/screenshots/client_scanner.png

The aim is to create an avatar scanner in the client, showing avatar,
distance, and payment data to start with. As you can see there I mostly
looked at how the avatar list is built and tried to make my own code starting
from that. Screenshot is a bit old, current state of things is better.

I thought I would ask a few questions to make sure I'm going in the right
direction:

So far I figured out LLVOAvatar::sInstances seems to be a list of all the
avatars the client knows of (probably the ones known in the connected sims).
Is this the right place to look for the data? I want to at the very least
duplicate the functionality of in-world scanners, but with a better
interface. A constraint is that I don't want to add extra load unless
required, so I'd like to use data that the client already gets if possible.

Also, can columns be hidden? I'd like to display quite a lot of data, but most
people probably won't want all of it (like the exact avatar position)

What is LLVOAvatar::isDead()?

Lack of comments in the source complicates things a bit for me, as I'm not
entirely sure I'm looking for things in the right place, for instance. One of
my plans is to add doxygen docs to things as I figure them out. Will LL
accept patches for this?

Does anybody (LL/SL users) mind such a feature being developed, and are there
chances of getting it into the official client?

And, is there a testing grid/sim for playing with this stuff? I asked on a
recent town hall, and got told to look in the FAQ, but I don't see anything
in it. Attempts to connect to other grids failed.

Hope that's not too many questions. Thanks in advance :-)