[sldev] Support for PNG images available...

Peekay Semyorka peekay at targetomega.com
Sat Jan 20 10:49:26 PST 2007

> Can you post the links and text on the mailing list? I can't access the
> main grid forums for 4 months or so. :P

(Update: build #2 cut for 1.13.2.12)

-- original forum post --

BETA support for PNG files, featuring *easy* transparency

In an effort to get "feet wet" with the open source client, I'm pleased to
announce a beta custom client with support for uploading image textures in
PNG ("ping") format, based upon the libpng library.

http://www.targetomega.com/sl/omegabeta.html

Why use PNG?

-- You may already cut PNG files as part of your everyday work, so you can
now upload them directly to SL without first converting them to JPEG,
Targa, etc.

-- Unlike JPEG, PNG is a lossless format.

-- PNG officially supports "easy" transparency mode. This is especially
useful if you don't need partial transparency (though that is also
supported.) Basically you don't need to deal with alpha channels at all...
just "paint" with the transparent color in your favorite editor, save to
PNG, and voila, transparent images.

-- Of course, the full alpha-channel (RGBA) is available to you as well.

-- Supports all PNG image types: grayscale, RGB, RGBA, 8-bpp, 16-bpp,
matte (background) colors, interlacing, various compression modes, etc.

The client has been successfully tested with numerous PNG images
(including those from the official PNG test-suite) with no known issues.
However, this software is beta in nature, and your help is needed to
further test this functionality before the patches are submitted to the
official Second Life repository, hopefully by next week.

A Windows XP client is available now from the above link, and a Mac
universal binary will also be made available (sorry Mac users, RL
commitments got in the way.) If you would like to compile the code
yourself, the full source code is also available now under GPL v2 terms.

Your feedback (positive or negative) is greatly valued. I hope to
incorporate a few more small features such as this before embarking on the
more "experimental" ideas I have in my head.

Thank you,

-peekay