[sldev] A client port to XNA

John Hurliman jhurliman at wsu.edu
Mon Jan 22 15:14:56 PST 2007

Jesse Nesbitt wrote:
> libsecondlife had a project called Slight that was SL client in XNA,
> but jhurliman has other priorities then to figure out how to project
> spheres :P
> @Dale: Generally, any discussion of XNA is related to porting to the
> XBox 360

The project called Slight never happened, there was no code ever
written. I have a simple rendering experiment for SL called sceneviewer
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IsuQsHO14s) that is up in svn at
http://code.google.com/p/libsecondlife (separate from the official
libsecondlife code repository). With XNA you get the worst of all worlds
with no UI controls on any platform, no networking layer on XBox360, and
no OSX or Linux versions at all. It's fun, it's a cool language for
learning about shaders and 3D rendering, but not appropriate for a real
SL viewer. If you want to jump on the C# bandwagon look at the C#
bindings for Ogre.

John Hurliman