[sldev] Re: Texture bugs.

Mathew Frank mathew at lifeart.net.au
Tue Jan 23 16:05:25 PST 2007

Argent Stonecutter wrote:
> Good idea (both of you):
>
> Restricting it to prims owned by the landowner (or deeded to the
> group) would mitigate the problem significantly. The landowner could
> relax this (allowing it for prims set to group or all prims) the way
> they can for scripts and building, but it should be limited to
> landowner by default.
>
> For HUDS, there's another issue: if you give away a freebie HUD with a
> texture bug in it, you *know* that the prim owner is the person at
> that IP address, so putting on a HUD would become like visiting a
> website with your browser settings on minimum security. I think that
> there should be three options:
>
> * No web textures on HUD attachments.
> * Allow web textures on HUD attachments after confirmation.
> * Allow web textures on HUD attachments without confirmation.

I think after confirmation, like this example for the reuters HUD using
a script on their website instead of their current system:
"This hud will request textures from image.reuters.com.  Only accept
this if you trust information from this website."

Which I personally would be okay with, because I trust Reuters to be
above board.  Whereas if it said some other website I would get
suspicious.  You could also enhance this a bit by notifying if the
texture is changing a lot - or is transparent or very small (ie the 1px
transparent gif technique) - for some things you would expect it to get
updated a lot (whereas with the Reuters example I would not expect it to
update every 30 seconds)

Cheers,
Mathew