[sldev] Bandwidth requirements

Strife Onizuka blindwanderer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 18:09:21 PST 2007

Texture lag (lag caused by serving textures) historically was a major
problem. Areas like the city sims west of Dore, plagued by texture lag.
Those sims are double prim, so the land is valuable but there are so many
textures in each sim they got very laggy (because the sim had to spend much
of it's time serving textures). Which is why there are only 4 city sims with
double prims on the mainland.

It has been a long time since they released the city sims.

Pheonix could you talk to us about briefly about how textures are served? I
know there have been a number of changes in the past years...

----

I accidentaly didn't reply to all last time so i'll repost...
this was in response to tim's post.

---

I'm not a linden but I'll answer your questions regardless.
The issues with the cache are these:
1) Size of assets
2) Number of assets

Assets range in size from a few hundred bytes (animations) to a few hundred
kilobytes (textures). For this reason they used a single file to house the
cache. Their adressing system uses 32 bit addresses which limits them to a
cache size of 4 GB.

The next issues is the number of assets. The average asset size is around 64
kilobytes. Which means a typical 1GB cache holds around 16 thousand assets.
Likewise there is a lookup table with keys and addresses. The reason the
cache is limited in size, has more to do with searching then anything else.
When you have a lookup table of 16000 items, it is very time consuming to
find anything in the table. Very few file systems can handle this quantity
of items gracefully.

It doesn't take a great leap of imagination to figure out how to optimize a
file system storage method.

----