Fwd: [sldev] Re: Texture Bugs

Zack Geers kunnis at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 16:45:38 PST 2007

 On 1/25/07, Argent Stonecutter <secret.argent at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I think that prompting the user is NOT the way to go.   Popups are
> > horrible
> > UI design, and users blindly click through popups.
>
> I agree, popups should be minimized. The scheme that I suggested
> would minimize them: you would ONLY get one (a) the first time you
> attached a HUD by a creator or accessing a website that you hadn't
> used before, or (b) if you explicitly selected prompting for third-
> party textures.

 The problem is this is a catch-22.  Both are bad design.  So then users
have to know about the option go into the settings and turn on a flag to be
pestered by popups to help maintain their privacy?  I don't think either
design is very good, and a better behavior needs to be found.

> > What do you think it's going to be like when everyone has a
> > dynamic image on their shirt, and you walk into a populated area
> > and get hit
> > by 30 popups?
>
> That wouldn't happen: there's been no suggesting that they're
> planning on allowing this for clothing textures; and the way clothing
> textures work it's extremely unlikely that they could.

Insert something else here...  IE my example about setting up a lot of shops
in malls.  They would be great at collecting this kind of information.

> > For http images hosted on a texture, what about making it so that the
> > textures are fetched by LL, and hosted on their servers?
>
> That would massively increase the bandwidth costs, reduce LL's
> indirect income from texture uploads, and slow down dynamic image
> generation enormously.

Perhaps LL could charge for this feature.  I agree, I'm not sure there's a
great solution, I'm just trying to find the best one.

> > What I'd sorta like to see is to be able to create an image
> > programicaly through LSL,
>
> That's what my llRenderText and texture layers proposals on the
> forums are all about... except they would be efficiently done on the
> client in realtime, not done on some overloaded server and downloaded
> as bulky bitmaps.

I'm talking about true dynamic images.  LSL creating fractials.  If we get
.net eventually one of these days, there's several image generation tools
built in.  What about having clothing that's custom crafted for you by
editing an object, then baking up the texture it needs?  You select one of
hundreds or thousands of textures, and it chooses the right part of the
pattern and bakes it.  Realtime stock quotes, with their own graph?  A
window that's wired up to a webcam in some city, so you can look out your
window in SL and see the real world, updated every 5 mins. (yeah, this could
be done with a media stream right now...)  If we leave the tools, someone
will create something very cool out of it.

I also think we need html on a prim.  That's a compleatly seperate issue.

Yes, the bandwidth aspect sucks.  It will aways suck.  We'll also have to
deal with people that have textures on crappy webservers that are feeding
the images like a snail.