[sldev] Portable Avs

Stef Wade Stef.Wade at stots.de
Sun Jan 28 06:15:15 PST 2007

Jesse Malthus schrieb:
> It's not as if LL and EA and whoever runs Entropia are ever going to
> agree on a standard system for avatar transit and rendering. Like John
> said, no one accepts meshes for avatars.

OpenCroquet does.

In fact they are offering some videos where they show how to take the
SL-Avatars and reuse them in Croquet:
http://opencroquet.org/croquet_technologies/tutorials.html

> Different systems have
> different customization systems for different reasons.

It looks like Croquet has chosen "no customization" for the reason to
maximize flexibility, "he" explains in
http://hedgehog.software.umn.edu/croquet/croquetMovies/SLfemaleInCroquet.mov
towards the end.

It does not look like it is possible to get the SL-Shapes into Croquet
though.

<rant type="philosophical,speculation">
But, IMO, when we are talking about "portability", the first issue is
getting stuff _out of_ a system. Getting it into another is secondary -
and would be on "EA's to-do-list" ist they want to offer that feature to
their users.

If right now somebody approaches EA and says: "I want to use my
SL-Avatar in WoW." They answer: "Sorry, but you cannot export your
SL-Avatar - too bad for you."
If SL could export content (at least the one with full privileges), then
the custommer's preassure is on the other system.

I think this is another wonderful example about how freedom opens up a
lot of possibilities that we cannot imagine, yet. Just because there is
no interface now, who sais it has to stay that way?
<rant>

Stefan

--
http://LinuxBasics.org                      http://Krone-Neuenburg.com