[sldev] Opening the server source?

Dzonatas dzonatas at dzonux.net
Mon Jul 2 11:48:24 PDT 2007

Argent Stonecutter wrote:
> I think you and Chance and Dzonatas are completely misinterpreting
> some part of my comments here, because currency is completely
> irrelevant to what I'm talking about: there's no reason you shouldn't
> be able to buy your "Beauty and the Beast (Prince)" avatar in L$.
> That's the *easy* part.

Hmm. Let me see if I can restate it in a way where it doesn't come
across like a misinterpretation.

> On 02-Jul-2007, at 11:18, Dzonatas wrote:
>> If you really can't export your items in the practical sense, you
>> really don't own them.
>
> Indeed. And yet people are still paying money for virtual property
> that they can't save, back up, or transport from one virtual world to
> another. On the other hand, if someone can bypass the rights system by
> simply traveling to the Ferengi Grid then what would happen to the
> economy that pays for Linden Labs to keep running the Agni grid?
>
> The rights system is often frustrating, far too coarse, restrictive,
> and really needs all kinds of changes. There are undoubtedly better
> balances that can be found, and letting alternative systems compete
> would allow all kinds of interesting things to bubble up. But it won't
> happen if the weakest system overrides all the rest.

In a new way to say this, what I describe next is how currency is
involved even in situations where L$ is not involved (as you touched on).

Right now your L$ really don't give you complete ownership of the land
because LL still hosts the site and such land can't be exported (at this
time). Now, we could make it so the land is exportable by allowing a
external sims (like this open server source thread). The next step up
would be to move onto commercial licensing of the sims. Such license
offers you to completely own the land, but I'm sure there will be
restrictions to follow in order for your virtual land to connect to LL's
assest servers to share (or serve, or host) what everyone else owns.

Does that help?

--
Power to Change the Void