Fwd: [sldev] Re: "But your IP wouldn't be safe"

Dirk Moerenhout blakar at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 02:24:09 PDT 2007

--- misclicked and list did not a copy ---

I think this mailing list is a poor place to discuss this as few here
are putting on the right hat when thinking about it.

The type of attackers we need to analyse are griefers. The type of
application we're dealing with is, just like the chat networks have
always been, attractive to griefers. The pattern in such a case is
that they'll go for instant gratification as much as possible. Hence
they want to have your IP at that moment. They'll hence exploit any
technique that helps them to easily and immediately get your IP at
that moment. Opening up new ways to do so is likely to cause a rise in
abuse.

For me personally I don't care but it's the millions of ordinary users
out there who'll never understand what's happening that will benefit
from keeping their IP private as much as possible.

I also don't think all the numerous examples of how people can get
your IP are relevant. It's not the point. It's not because they
already can (in many cases with a lot more effort) that it's ok to
open up a new way and easy way to do so.

Dirk aka Blakar Ogre